Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Design Team Wednesday with Nancy

Hi Everyone, Nancy here with a photo tutorial of a technique for stamping with water. This is a fun technique that results in wonderful batik-like patterns and textures. I used Distress inks for this technique because they are designed to react with water. For a different look you can use Pearly Water to add some sparkle and shine!

Supplies used:
White Cardstock- I used Neenah Solar White
Kraft Cardstock- Neenah Desert Storm

Stamps: Hero Arts Daisy Outline Pattern S5472; Lawn Fawn Swimsuit Season (swimsuit and sentiment)

Inks: Distress inks-Shaded Lilac, Peacock Feathers, Squeezed Lemonade, Ripe Persimmon. Memories Black Dye ink, Versamark Watermark Stamp Pad

Tools: We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper, Inkssentials Mister bottle, Fiskars paper trimmer, EK Success 2" Circle Punch, Heat Tool

Other Supplies: Scrapbook Adhesives 3D Foam Squares, Large Glue Dots, May Arts Ribbons and Trims

Let's get started:

Start by trimming down some white card stock to 2- 3" strips.  Using an ink blending tool or direct to paper apply inks to the paper, getting good coverage.


 Trim each inked side to a 1.25" strip and assemble on copy paper with removable adhesive.


Ink your stamp with Versamark, make sure it's good and inked! Give the inked rubber a couple of light mists from the mister; the water should bead up on the stamp but avoid getting it too wet. Stamp on your prepared strips holding the stamp in place for about 15 seconds to let the water penetrate the paper.
When you first remove the stamp you may not like how it looks, but give it time for the water to react with Distress ink.


If you are impatient (like me) you can use a heat tool to speed up the drying process.  Once dry you will have a unique texture and stamped pattern on your cardstock. Remove the paper strips from the copy paper backing.
NOTE: Please do not use a heat tool directly on your self healing cutting mat. The heat will warp the mat. I hold my paper over a ceramic tile to heat when using embossing powder or for general drying. This photo is just for demonstration purposes.

To finish my card I stamped the Daisy Outline Pattern  with Shaded Lilac on a white card stock background panel. I spritzed my stamp lightly before stamping with it to achieve a softer water color look. I trimmed the inked and water stamped panels to 1.75" high and adhered them to my background.
I stamped the swimsuit with black ink on a leftover piece of the Shaded Lilac inked panel and cut it out. Then I used the stamping with water technique to give the swimsuit a fun pattern.
I punched a 2" circle and stamped the Daisy Outline Pattern in Squeezed Lemonade then stamped the "keep cool" sentiment in black ink. This circle was trimmed and adhered to the panel.
I added some May Arts ribbon and trim, layered the swimsuit on the piece of woven trim and rounded the bottom corners of the panel before mounting it to a standard size kraft card base.

Here's my finished card:



 and a close up of the water stamped detail:


I hope enjoyed today's Design Team Wednesday Tutorial and that you will use this fun technique to add some interesting texture to your stamped cards and projects.

Please leave us a comment and tell us what you think about the blog, the Wednesday feature, this tutorial....whatever, we want to hear from you!

Have a great Wednesday!

8 comments:

joy said...

What a great tutorial, Nancy! I love the results of the technique; very cool! Your card is so summery, too.

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh, Nancy!!! This is soooo cute. I can't wait to copy ;=))

Barb said...

Nancy, what a neat card! This is one of my fave techniques - love the results you achieved, and the pretty colors you used! :)

Dawn T said...

Great tutorial Nancy. Love the water technique.

donna mikasa said...

What a great tutorial, Nancy! This is so cool! Love the shimmery look!

Renee V said...

Very cool technique, love the texture and tone on tone look it provides. TFS!

Maureen Morton said...

I can't wait to try this Nancy! I have learned so much from you. This card just screams summer and I am so ready! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a fun creative card. And new techniques ALWAYS lure me to play. Tonight's the night!

Thanks so much,
Bahb